Friday, April 8, 2011

Thursday night . . .

Well we had a little quake last night. It didn't feel so little! I had just gotten off the phone from my mom . . . we'd been discussing that it really was the right choice for me to stay here, and all they ways/reasons I've been so glad I've stayed. And about 11:30pm, it started. I grabbed a flashlight and went straight to my painted glass Japanese fishing floats!!! It was pretty intense, but shorter than 3.11 . . . the power went out right away. The picture above is our {very} crooked picture of the Twin Towers.
This lamp is really the only other thing affected. Thankfully!!! So both cars were in the garage, it was windy, and I couldn't hear on the loudspeaker if there was a tsunami coming or not!!! Cell phones were NOT working . . . and once again, very limited in who I could talk to since people have cordless phones instead of plug in land line phones!!! (I promise I will be 80 and still have one!!) I had gotten a package from Dad 2 weeks ago with emergency stuff . . . I sat in the middle of the hallway and tore through all of it to get out the emergency radio!!! Got a quick message to my mom via my kindle to call my house phone (thank you Verizon for free calls to Japan!) . . . and my friend Kerry got through to say she was coming over--her house is one of the much closer ones to the coast . . . and again, not understanding if there was a tsunami warning!!! Mom called--gave us some updates . . . and eventually the tsunami warning was lifted . . . we used the kindle to email the boys . . . listened to base leadership on the radio . . . and tried to sleep.
This is "his side" of the bed . . . I was very very prepared :) :)
So power came on this afternoon . . . all of us girls did the same as last time . . . calling and/or driving to check on each other . . . I have to say, I almost got bored . . . not having a friend in labor and all!!!!
Thankful thankful that everyone is once again ok here in Misawa . . .

2 comments:

subLyme said...

My goodness.... glad you are all okay!

Kostrubala said...

Hi, Laura!
I just read your three most recent posts. Wow! It was amazing to hear your first hand account of all that has happened. I thank God that you are safe and with (what seems to be) a wonderful group of women to support you. Thank you for sharing your story. Kaz and I will continue to pray for you and the others affected by the natural disasters in Japan.
Kellie :)