Saturday, September 13, 2008

A lime green dress, potato pizza, and a french press


There's always a million things that can make a girl think and get all emotional like some of us tend to do :) I came across this picture a minute ago and it made me smile. Of course, you're just looking at a french coffee press (with Folgers Hazelnut coffee) but to me . . . it represents my new friend and 3 weeks in Korea. So I've posted the pictures of all the fun adventures we went on . . . and a little of this and a little of that, but nothing about the girl who truly was a blessing during my time there.
I suppose it all REALLY started in Phoenix a zillion years ago when I first went to IKEA with two lovely ladies in our class--and I was hooked on IKEA. So when my sister needed to get stuff for her new townhome, I tagged along to IKEA. I bought J the french press thinking it would be a nice addition to his dorm (because IKEA has so much cool stuff!!!). Upon arrival to his home, we first went to the store. As we were walking in I met a couple--tried to remember their names--and forgot. Spent a week sleeping . . . and the following weekend, I met Courtney for the second time. We pledged to go to the pool and gym together the following week. Of course, I knew no dorm number--or last name . . . so I did some snooping--figured out a last name--and prayed that it would be on the door to her dorm. And then walked up and down 2 halls to find her. Truly, the rest is history. For 3 weeks while our husbands truly were solving the world's problems . . . we discussed ways we thought we could, too! Marriage, politics, faith, family, military, education--we seemed to cover it all--and always with coffee in our hands. We watched movies, sat at the pool, worked out at the gym . . . She even convinced me to try on and take a LIME GREEN little number to Jeju (had I not been so sunburned I might have worn it) . . . and we shared a potato pizza on our last day of hanging out (it was odd). We never got to take a picture together . . . and I remember after she left (2 days before me) I snapped this shot thinking, "hmm, this will remind me of Courtney."
I suppose my point in this is maybe being thankful for unexpected blessings? Or maybe making sure to keep your expectations about a situation open--because you never know? I certianly didn't expect to make such a sweet friend at a location where most spouses were "unaccompanied." And maybe that you never know what role you will play in the life of a person you bump into . . . or better yet, the role they will play in your life.

No comments: